Your heating bills can add up, especially during the coldest months of the year. But the good news is that there are steps you can take to make your furnace more efficient and your high utility bills more controllable.
Whether you’re looking to make a few small changes around the house or you’re ready to use some serious elbow grease, consider the following energy-saving tips.
Easy ways to lower your heating bills
Lowering your utility bills doesn’t need to be a major struggle. Here are a few simple ways you can lower your heating bill this winter:
- Lower your thermostat. Your body naturally cools down when you sleep. By lowering your thermostat at night, not only do you lower your heating bill but you can also get better rest.
- Open your curtains. The sun is nature’s free heater. Open your curtains to let the sunlight make up for your lowered thermostat during the day.
- Use an electric blanket. Another way to stay warm with a lowered thermostat is to use an electric blanket. Power it up for 15 minutes before unplugging it.
Ready for the next step?
You can make a bigger dent in your heating bill by taking slightly bigger steps toward home efficiency. These steps include:
- Tuning your furnace. Your furnace ought to be tuned every year. Tune-ups are the best way to catch small issues and repair them. They also improve the efficiency of your furnace overall and help them last longer.
- Sealing your drafts. Drafts can suck out the heat in your home and drive up your heating bill. Find drafts in your home using a draft detector or a lit candle. Use spray foam insulation to seal them when you find them.
If these changes don’t do enough to lower your heating bill, it may be worth considering replacing your furnace, replacing your attic insulation, or conducting a home energy audit.
Looking for an HVAC company in MD?
Your HVAC system needs a maintenance inspection at least twice a year for it to stay efficient. A professional HVAC company in MD can make sure your HVAC system is in good shape and any minor repairs are fixed before they become major problems.
If you’re looking for an HVAC company in MD, Minnicks is the HVAC service for you. For more information on HVAC repair and maintenance, or how to improve your home efficiency, contact Minnicks today.