Whatever the season, your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system can start to perform poorly. Sometimes, the presence of an issue is obvious, and your home is clearly not as warm or cool as it should be. Other times, however, warning signs that your HVAC isn’t working are more subtle.
Here’s a quick list of big and small signs that your HVAC unit needs some TLC.
- The air is blowing, but it’s not cool
If you notice your HVAC kicks on when it should, but that space never seems to get cooler, place your hand next to a vent. If you notice that the air is flowing but it is not chilled, your unit could be leaking coolant, or the compressor could be malfunctioning. Alternatively, if the air is chilled but flowing weakly, your unit could have blocked ducts. Call an HVAC service to get a professional opinion.
- The HVAC unit is leaking If you notice that water or other fluids are pooling around your HVAC unit or streaming from some part, shut off the unit immediately to prevent electrical damage and start calling HVAC service companies. Your unit needs some repairs, and fast.
- It’s making funny thumps and bumps Other than the soft, smooth whir of the system turning on and running, your HVAC should be very quiet. Clicks, thuds, bangs, and whistles could all be signs of a problem. Screws or fans could have shaken loose, coil fins could be clogged, or other parts could need lubrication or replacement.
- You’ve got high utility bills An inefficient HVAC is a malfunctioning HVAC. As they age, dirty, contaminated, an improperly maintained HVAC system has to work harder and use more energy to produce the same cooling and heating results. In fact, the U.S. Department of Energy discovered 25% to 40% of the energy used for heating or cooling homes is wasted. If you notice your energy bills have been creeping higher with each passing month, your HVAC unit could be tiring out and in need of a tune-up.
- Everyone has the snifflesDirty, old HVAC units could be blowing dirt, grime, and germs throughout your home and office. For most people, this can cause irritated noses and eyes, but for people with allergies, the effect could be downright disastrous. Additionally, if you notice a dirty sock smell coming from the unit, bacteria could be growing in its depths. Call local HVAC service companies for cleanings and inspections.
HVAC units are meant to make our living spaces more comfortable. If your HVAC is making weird noises, smells funny, costing you money, or simply not working, don’t hesitate to get HVAC repairs and services. Proper maintenance from HVAC service companies can help your HVAC unit do its job well.