Today, our heating ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems make our homes livable. The ability to heat and cool the home makes it possible to live in the coldest and hottest parts of the United States. Experts at HVAC companies recommend people take some time to do regular maintenance of their systems from time to time. This can help prevent the need for costly repairs to your unit and the need to have HVAC service companies come in and do work on your system.
- Keep an eye on your air filters. You need to make it a point to check and change out your air filters on a regular basis. There are a lot of bad things that can happen if you neglect your air filters. When they are clogged up, it is impossible for the system to run efficiently. Schedule a time to check them at least once a month. The frequency with which you will depend on your lifestyle. If you have pets or bad allergies, you will have to change them more frequently. Clogged or bad air filters can also be fire hazards in your home. You can also use pleated air filters, which need changing less frequently.
- Get rid of debris in your heating and air conditioning systems. For outdoor units, HVAC companies recommend leaving space around it. It is also important to keep it free from debris such as leaves, pollen, sticks, etc. This needs to be checked every week or so. This is also not to place hoses or other items. This keeps the air flowing so that you can protect the unit.
- Take the time to clean out the registers. Your ducts and registers also need to be kept debris-free. You should take some time as often as you see it is needed to wipe out any dust or debris from your system.
- Lay off your humidifier from time to time. During the summer, you do not need to run the humidifier on your furnace. You can turn off the water supply to that system. As you approach the colder parts of the year, you should replace the humidifier pad (also called the water panel). You will want the relative humidity to be set somewhere between 35% and 45%. Turning it off from time to time will help it last longer.
- Listen to your HVAC system. It may tell you that it needs attention from one of the HVAC companies in your area. If you listen to your system all of the time, you will know when it starts to make sounds that are unusual. If there is debris in your vents, loose bolts floating around your registers or furnace, or blockages in the registers, you may hear strange noises. You should talk to an HVAC company about the causes of the strange noises.